With a mild Mediterranean climate and nearly 700 plant species and 250 bird species, Brijuni National Park is both a pleasant and healing group of islands. Brijuni’s popularity took-off in 1893, thanks to the industrialist, Paul Kupelwieser, owner of Island areas. The fashionable tourist and health resort started its growth, development - at the time of Austro-Hungary and Italy - all over Europe and the world, to end the years of World War II. Brijuni, furthermore, continued due to the political activities of Marshal Josip Broz Tito, Yugoslavia's former president, who first came to the Islands in 1947.
A typical visit to Brijuni includes a short train ride through the different natural beauty locations and through the safari park, the Byzantine Castrum, the Roman villa in the residential Verige Bay, and other interesting sights. The ride also includes stops along the harbor, the hotel "Istra", "Neptune", "Karmen" the church of St Germans in the 15th century in which the exhibition copy of the the Istrian frescoes and Glagolitic monuments. Nearby is a collection of natural history, the archaeological museum and the exhibition "Tito on Brijuni".
Roman villa in Verige Bay
The largest Roman villa in Istria is located on Brijuni island in the Bay of Verige. It has regulated port access, which connects to the opposite coast, according to which the bay was named. Construction of the villa began in the 1st century BC, and reached its highest glory in the 1st century after Christ. Some parts of the villa were used until the 6th century. During it’s peak it consisted of several buildings for different purposes located at carefully selected locations in various parts of the bay.